Monday, March 23, 2009

Good food called bad, bad food called good?

One word: NOM!



I resent, however, the "heart problem" comments. See how the twisted mainstream of thought has influenced americans? "X amt of calories, and x amount of fat" No mention of carbs at all.

That's a shame.

It's actually a deadly shame. Americans have been duped into thinking that if they toss out the fatty sausage and eat the carb-bomb of a bisquit that they are being more healthy. They mollify themselves that they are 'lowering their cholesterol', all the while getting fatter and fatter and continuing to die of hert disease in droves!

And speaking of America's skewed perceptions of foods, check out this article on how sugar is now replacing High Fructose Corn Syrup in some foods. 25 years ago, HFCS replaced the sugar, now they're switching back because the public now view sugar as 'natural' and healthy.

The sad part is that they are BOTH horribly bad for us and our children. America is in the death grip of it's SWEET obsession and switching to sugar is NOT gonna slim us down, people!

"Dr. Robert H. Lustig, a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California, San Francisco Children’s Hospital, said: “The argument about which is better for you, sucrose or HFCS, is garbage. Both are equally bad for your health.” "


Americans are addicted to sweet. Hooked to the point where it appears in even savoury foods. And we wonder why we are fat? Check out a katsup label. Between the loads of carbs our children shovel in, and the sweets, AND the hidden sugars ... well, gee, obese kids? No mystery there.

Scientists have this reaction to the new sugar craze:

"To researchers and nutritionists who study obesity and the effects of sugar on the body, the resurrection of sugar is maddening.

Pat Crawford of the Center for Weight and Health at the University of California, Berkeley, remembers when sugar was such a loaded word that cereal makers changed the name of products like Sugar Pops to Corn Pops.

Even though overall consumption of caloric sweeteners is starting to drop, Dr. Crawford says an empty calorie is still an empty calorie. And it does not matter whether people think sugar is somehow “retro,” a word used to promote new, sugar-based versions of Pepsi and Mountain Dew called Throwback.

If people really want to go back to where we were, that means not putting sugar in everything,” she said. “It means keeping it to desserts.”"



Thank you! (Emphasis above is mine.)

Now, don't get me wrong, here. I am absolutely against HFCS. It's higher in fructose which adversely affects the liver, it may contain mercury, and, insidiously, it's in every farkin thing we eat! Why does salad dressing and mayonnaise have sweetener of ANY kind in?

I would choose sugar over HFCS any day, but the point is that I don't eat sugar of any kind, and I strictly limit the sugars I allow my kids and my diabetic husband to eat.  The saddest part is that I have to scour labels all day every day to look for HFCS, sugar, and that devil, soy, so that my family won't be eating that deadly crap.

It's exhausting and it makes me angry and it's all the brainchild of these producers of corn, soy, and sugar who manipulate the masses into thinking these poisons are ok.

Do YOU try to limit sugars and carbs to keep your family healthy?

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 8:56 am   3 comments

3 Comments:

At 9:38 am, Anonymous moonduster said...

I absolutely limit sugars and "hidden" sugars in my family's diet.

I admit that I have a sweet tooth, so I have been experimenting in creating desserts which are either naturally sweetened with things like apples or I use sweetener such as Splenda. I know there are drawbacks to using sweeteners too, but I believe that, since we don't eat desserts all of the time, sweeteners are the lesser evil.

 
At 2:26 pm, Anonymous Jake said...

There are three foods I avoid that seem to be in every processed food.

1. Sugar
2. Soy
3. Wheat.

Seems like I can't buy anything that is not in the parameter of the store.

 
At 2:06 pm, Anonymous Dana Seilhan said...

My daughter already gets loads less candy and sweets than the average kid. Her weaknesses are fruit and ice cream. Her favorite fruits are melons and berries and I'm more than willing to let her have those, as they're low-carb in the first place. The ice cream is a bit more of a problem. I have a Donvier pot and can make my own, but as often as not, her dad buys store-bought, which of course is loaded with crap.

Actually he's the biggest underminer of my efforts. He has a handy excuse in that he's reactive to all artificial sweeteners that we know of, unless you count stevia, since it's processed all to hell. He can have that one. The rest of them give him migraines or make him feel poisoned. So he continues consuming sugar and HFCS, and of course if I make anything sweet here and want him to have any, I must keep sugar around. Otherwise I'd stick with sucralose and occasionally raw honey (for my daughter, not me).

But there's a lot riding on this. My daughter's baby teeth are already bad. Between my poor pregnancy diet and her being on antibiotics for a year and a half due to urinary reflux and needing to protect her kidneys from infections... she's got caps on her upper front teeth and has had one pulled already at age four, and most of her molars have fillings in them. (We're about to go for another one the day before Easter.) So I need to be careful that her permanent teeth will develop well. I have an uphill climb ahead of me, though, as long as he keeps caving in and buying crap.

So I guess I will have to start wasting "food." And then having fights over it. And I hate confrontation, but really, they aren't my teeth and I'm not gonna have to live with them. But he seems to think this is all make-believe or something. I read to him from Taubes or from some LC website and he nods along and says it makes sense... then goes right back to eating crap. And feeding it to our girl. GRR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home