Wednesday, November 11, 2009

NaNoWriMo day 11

"NaNoWriMo ate my soul!"

There's a forum post over at the National Novel Writing Month website with that title. How appropriate.

Over here at the Evil Genius secret hidden lair, it's been 11 days of crazy.

It's not just NaNoWriMo of course. Our lives are hectic as it is and for us to decide to take on writing a bloody novel in a month - EACH - was crazyness.

I just caught up with my daily word count quota on day 8 and Bodog hasn't quite caught up yet. He's a pretty competative guy, but he's nowhere near my Type A, snarling, OCD, self.  My anxiety level was sky high those first 8 days and nothing else got done: no laundry, no cleaning (Oh except when I obsessively cleaned the entire kitchen at 4 a.m. because I had writers block.), no work, nothing.

So, yeah, now that I've caught up, I'm better.  I promise I am.

Now I'm trying to ease back into doing all those things, plus spend a wee bit of time with my husband and my children!

It's not NaNoWriMo, of course. It could be a broken car or a hole in the fence.  It's just a grain of sand in the cogs of our lives. Trying to cope with another obligation in already busy lives.

"So why are you doing it, Blue?  You don't win a prize for completing 50,000 words by November 30th, you're not making any money.  Why put yourself through the stress?"

Two reasons:

  1. The sense of accomplishment. The ability to say: "I did this", to say "I CAN write a novel."
  2. My lifelong dream has been to be a writer. A large number of WriMos go into this with no intention of ever rewriting and polishing, finding an agent, and submitting their novel for publication.  They are doing it for the experience or just for fun or just for practice.  Many more intend to publish but will never go through all the hard steps it takes to do so.
Not me. I fully intend to try to publish a book one day. Perhaps not this book (or the next 3 I write) but A book.  Now I will know that I can write that book.

Right. Back to the insanity.  I actually got some work work done yesterday (ok, about 10 minutes worth, but still), made my daily word goal by noon and wrote a bit more.  yay, me!

Now if a plot would just appear, I'd be set ...

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 5:42 am   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home