Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Rash decision?

I did something dumb yesterday.

About 6 months ago I discovered that my youngest daughter, Bitty Girl, has a contact allergy to - of all things - Ranch dressing. I had served an hors d'ovours type meal with Ranch to dip the raw veggies in. Within minutes Bitty had a mild red rash around her mouth. By process of elimination over the next week, I determined that the culprit was the dressing.

Fast forward to yesterday.

Yes, you've already figured out what I did. Again. DOH!

Here's my rashy angel:



You can see it better here (Does this kid have the biggest nose-holes you've ever seen on a child, or what?) :



Now, clearly, she's in no discomfort and happy as a clam. It apparently doesn't itch or burn. It also goes away quickly. This is her just three hours later, after her nap:


Happy baby! Now mommy ... no more Ranch!

What is it with me and rashes, anyway?! Bitty is the one who had the reaction to the MMR and scared the snot out of me. The Incredible Bulk is having rash issues as well right now, but of a different source:
YIKES! This one's candida (yeastie beasties) and it's driving me nuts! He's teething and gnaws on his fist all day and everywhere the drool is smeared is a light dusting of candida rash. Bah!

(Don't mind the weird face he's making. You'd look like this too if someone was shoving a camera with a flash in your face as you were going down for your nap! Acually I think he looks a bit like Dr Phlox from Enterprise!)

So if any of you has any tips or advice on what to do about these various rashes (other than: "Don't feed her Ranch dressing again, you twit!") I'd appreciate it! Cheers!

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 4:17 pm   12 comments

12 Comments:

At 6:50 pm, Blogger Meredith said...

Just curious--is it bottled ranch dressing that gives her the rash (ie some kind of preservative) or does it also happen with a home made ranch dressing?

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Bottled. Hidden Valley to be exact. We use so little salad dressing that I just buy it. What's aggravating is that I give my kids almost no sweets or highly processed foods, ONLY as a rare treat - for example they usually just happily eat their raw veg plain.

Erg!

-Blue

 
At 2:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still nursing the babe, right? Breastmilk, breastmilk, breastmilk! I'm sure it's already been said, but, just in case...give it a try since it fixes most everything. ;)

If that doesn't do the trick, break out the Benadryl and rub some on. Big help I am, but those 2 are the best fix for rash madness in my house.

Good luck!

 
At 12:19 pm, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Great, Karry ... now I'm hungry, LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I've been using some of the leftover liquid that's for the oral thrush. It's sticky and gives Bulk a yellowish sheen, but it's worked beautifully!

-Blue

 
At 2:32 pm, Blogger Shelly said...

Just an FYI this is really common for little kids. It's a skin sensitivitiy to certain foods and they grow out of it. Don't be worried about food allergies, its not a big deal. I have 4 kids and all get this and all grown out of it.

 
At 12:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 18 month old girl has had a rash on her face for the past 3 months and it looks very similar to the pictures posted. Our doctor prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment and it appeared to calm down. Problem is, because it's a steroid we had to discontinue after 1 week. Now we are faced with the diffciult task of finding out what she's allergic to. We tried eliminating all fruit, but with no luck. The rash persists. Do yeast infections occur on the face? Do they look the same as food allergies. Our doctor seemed sure it was an allergy but couldn't be 100% certain. Any comments are helpful.

 
At 5:23 am, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Anon, do you mean it looks similar to the pics of my (then) baby? Is it a fine sprinkling of red dots?

If so, then it could very well be candida (yeast) which can persist for ages if untreated.

Ask your doc for some of the oral thrush meds - the liquid. It's MESSY, but it can be ingested and it works.

HTH and good luck!

 
At 1:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my son went to cc's pizza and he ate a salad with very little salad dressing and he broke out with the same rash. so i called them and they dont use hidden valley but the do use a dressing with buttermilk in it and maybe that could be the cause of that. but im not sure. and my son is only two so they cant test him for allergies yet and im not even sure that they can test for anything specific like ingredients in ranch dressing. so i guess that i will just have to wait until i can test him for food allergies.

 
At 4:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 2 year old gets the exact same rash adter eating ranch dressing also we have figured out after much inquiry that he is alergic to MSG, it is in most foods and is really scary when you find out the truth about it. After we switched to organic ranch he never has broken out again, he also had the same rash when he had caned soup that had MSG in it so no more soup only organic or homemade where I know I can trust what is put in it.

 
At 8:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my 9 year old woke up with a red itchy rash around his mouth and neck area. don't believe he ate anything out of the ordinary but said he had and awful dream! i'm wondering if it's nerves or in fact he ate something or it's my laundry detergent????

 
At 11:49 am, Blogger Jen @ Rolling Through Looneyville said...

Stumbled here looking for remedies for drool rashes. Funny though, my daughters both have had reactions to ranch dressing. Ketchup too... the bottled variety. Topical allergies! And our diet is as natural as you describe yours... and then boom, dressing is a bit of a treat and out pops the rash.

I'm now wondering whether my little one has a yeast rash on his face... we've been battling thrush and he's better in his mouth (and I'm better too), but this rash is AWFUL! Raised red pimply bumps. Anyway, I'll start him on the cream and see if that helps. Thanks for raising that possibility!

 
At 11:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bottled Ranch contains eggs as well...my son is allergic to eggs and cannot have Ranch or mayo or anything else containing eggs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home