Thursday, February 23, 2006

My Yahoo word of the day is ... "Decry"

It is a sad, sad day for women.

Apparently we are too stupid, too naive, too irrational to make decisions about our own lives, our own bodies, our own children.

South Dakota has passed an abortion ban.

Let me be perfectly clear. I am NOT in favour of wholesale, willy-nilly abortion. For one thing I feel like a woman should have a finite time in which to make the decision (prior to whatever number of weeks).

South Dakota has banned all abortions save those done because the mother's life is in jeopardy.

Think about this:

You discover that your unborn child has a genetic defect such that as soon as he is born he will take a few painful gasps and then die. If you're in South Dakota, you will be forced to continue this pregnancy, go into labour, give birth, and watch your child die in a matter of minutes. But the legislature will be feeling warm and fuzzy about themselves, because they 'saved an innocent life.'

Or how about this:

Your 12 year old daughter is waylaid and savagely raped. If she's in South Dakota and she becomes pregnant from the attack you will be forced to watch your daughter - a child - carry a baby to term at the risk of her physical health, her mental health, and the baby's welfare. Won' t the powers-that-be be feeling smug, though, at the thought of a middle-schoolers life being ruined! Who cares? We 'saved an innocent life'!

Let me say something, as a mother and a woman:

I made that embryo. Without me there would be no embryo. There is no other method to make an embryo other using my body to host it. Without me there's just a gelatinous splat of semen.

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO UNILATERALLY DECIDE WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO WITH IT.

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 7:39 am   4 comments

4 Comments:

At 10:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, serial mom!

 
At 5:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh! I'm generally a pro-life kinda gal...in that I am for life. Not that I think I get to tell others what to do with their bodies.

What's going to end up happening is that women (and girls) are going to have back alley abortions and then *their* live will be in danger.

 
At 4:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I do not understand the thinking. Crazy. I would be open to discussing the possibility of some REASONABLE restrictions placed on abortion, but this is completely unreasonable.

 
At 10:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sad day indeed for this particular fight. Sadder still that it is guaranteed to get worse in our current political climate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home