Friday, May 06, 2005

Not soy good?

Everything in the world is bad for you, apparently. *sigh* Here's something else that has been touted as soooooo very good for us but, now, maybe, not so much.

"Because isoflavones behave like estrogen, in certain situations, they could stimulate the growth of estrogen-dependent tumors."

"Some physicians caution breast cancer patients against eating too much soy for fear it could promote tumor growth in women whose disease is sensitive to estrogen."

(Note: I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve or am pro-soy or anti-soy. Just wanted to throw it out for discussion. The words 'growth' and 'tumor' are a bad combo in my book.)

I personally think that maybe we should go back to hunting mastadons and gathering seeds and berries. Hmmm ... of course, I think that life expectancy back then was, oh, 29.

----

On another subject, I got this little snippet over on Lady Mac's blog:

Apparently www.salary.com did an estimate of what a full-time mom should be making:


Day Care Center teacher 26, 891
Van Driver 30, 762
Housekeeper 18, 750
Cook 31, 099
CEO 612, 623
Nurse 56, 113
General Maint. Worker 29, 656
-------------------------------------------------------
Base pay (40 hrs) 43, 461
Overtime (60hrs) 88, 009
-------------------------------------------------------
Mom’s salary 131, 471


Hmmm. Having been a work-ouside-the-home mom and a full-time mom I appreciate the sentiment but I'd do the math a bit differently.

I'd toss out CEO, for one. Seems a bit pretentious. I'd also base the hours on a normal day (in my case: 5:30 - 9:00 , 15 1/2 hours per day, 7 days a week) without overtime. I mean, yes, I'd get paid overtime if I worked in a company, but I don't.

If you average the hourly wages of everyone except the CEO it's a bit more than $15/hour. Considering the 5642 hours per year that I'm 'actively' mom-ing, I get almost 87k.

Did I say 'Hmmmmm'? Hell, I'd just settle for some folding money and some NAPS!

-----

Oh I realized that I'd promised to bore you with pics of Tall Girl's birthday and I never did, well you don't get off the hook! Bwahahahahahah!



The birthday girl. The cake. The messy house in the background.



The older brother. The sucky new haircut.



The baby sister. The icing moustache.

Sometimes the simplest (non-soy?) things are the best.

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 8:01 am   3 comments

3 Comments:

At 4:16 pm, Blogger Lioness said...

Heres' something that will amaze you: your kids are scrumptious! They're adorable! Now I hear ticking...

I came via Grrl, am in shock that someone would actually have the nerve to do that AND thank her. Could I ask you how that code works? Thanks.

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger Carrie said...

I guess we all have to die from *something*, LOL. It seems everything is bad for you these days. Living causes death, though, so I'm not too concerned.

Cute pictures!! :)

 
At 8:09 am, Blogger Tilly Cat & Pip-Squeak said...

Hey, I keep thinking this every time I see her picture: Your Bitty Girl looks like Reece Witherspoon (but more intelligent, probably!)All your children are gorgeous.

Ok, sorry to pimp my own blog, but I'm only doing this because your blog is saved in my favorites and I read it regularly... Would you check out my blog if you have time? It's http://www.ab8matilda.blogspot.com

Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home