Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Bann'd!!

I have been BANNED from Fertility Friend!

"Oh, hell, Blue", I hear you saying under your breath, "What heinous thing did you do? Did you curse at an administrator, Blue? Post dirty pictures? Threaten someone??"

Uh ... no. I tried to help a group of moms - who'd met on the site - stay in touch.

Get out your torches and your pitchforks, people! I'm eeeeeeeeeeevil!

I have been on FF for years. The features are ok. In case you're unfamiliar: they provide online charting, a slightly frustrating fertility database (every entry basically says "everyone's different, this may or may not be accurate for you"), and a series of bulletin boards.

It's these bulletin boards that kept me coming back. Having suffered infertility then gone on to have several children, I felt that I could help a lot of the other members by relating my experiences. I enjoyed being able to talk to a wide variety of people at different stages of TTC.

I tried very hard to be a good member of the community. Seriously. I read the charter (not well enough apparently, by golly!), I was nice to everyone (despite a few twinkies who were not mature enough to keep their pregnancy-hormone-fueled-self-indulgent-whineyness in check) and I tried to follow the rules. If I messed up, I quickly changed my errant ways. Example: I posted a URL once (to a site that I thought would help a fellow breastfeeder - services not offered by FF) and got spanked for it. FF is hyper paranoid about URLs. They prohibit posting links as they may be to for-profit sites and they are an advertising free site. At least this is the supposed reasoning.

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago.

I was a member of the June board. Well, they only have ONE June board. We ladies who had our babies in June 2005 would have to share the board here soon with the ladies who are getting preggers and expecting 2006 June babes.

FF does not provide mommy boards. "FertilityFriend.com is devoted to charting and pregnancy tracking" as they archly told me in the You Are Outta Here email they sent me.

Fair enough. So a member of our June board made us an EZboard so that we could all stay together as our babies grew. I'm a member of a community exactly like this - on BabyCenter - that I joined when I was preggers with my first. I can tell you how beneficial it is, how comforting to know this group of people who've been with you through the whole journey of pregnancy, birth, and motherhood.

But then that Mom made the mistake of posting the link to the new board.

They banned her ... then terminated her account.

So, when the topic came up again (other June board members requesting the URL to the new board), I was very leery about breaking any anal FF rules. I decided to just ask people to email me. What harm would that do? It's not like we were trying to make money or steal business from FF. We just wanted to stay together. I carefully never posted any links or even mentioned any other site. Just: "Email me" and a smiley.

So they banned* me ... then terminated my account.

Apparently "soliciting emails" is also against their charter. (and sounds kinda dirty)

Here's my thing: if you want to keep your knickers up your arsecrack over possible links to for-profit sites then police your boards. You're obviously doing this now. What's the harm in links to sites that are potentially HELPFUL to your members? Get your little snitches who report any and everything or your forum moderators who do bugger-all to whisper back to you. Clearly this 'service' is already in place. Just prohibit links to certain types of sites.

Let me make myself perfectly clear. It's Fertility Friend's own site. They have their rules and can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to anyone (and they do). Their perogative. No problem. But, if it was MY site, I'd definitely think twice about abusing and alienating women who are essentially good community members. And for what? They clearly spent much time and effort sniffing out us wicked wrongdoers. Wouldn't it be easier to use that (wo)manpower to enforce sensible policies and encourage people TO STAY?

Just, ya know, a thought.

And so, Fertility Friend: Qapla! I'm off to find another charting site as I'm about to TTC again. Too bad for you that my membership money is going elsewhere - but most of all - too bad my experience will no longer benefit members of your community.

*oh, excuse me: "suspended - not banned" as I was snottily informed in a subsequent misspelled email when I asked what I'd done wrong. Please explain the difference to me.

UPDATE: apparently I am not the only one burnt by FF! Check it out.

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 11:55 am   12 comments

12 Comments:

At 1:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fertility Friend or Foe? I thought the whole purpose of the website was to help people. Whatever.

 
At 2:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aack! Good grief! FF has gotten absolutely ridiculous. You've been such a help to all of us on the June board! I'm going to post advising everyone to check in on your blog. Maybe you can post the link to the June site here for anyone that's looking.

 
At 2:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I know where to find you. You have helped me tremendously - even in just reading your resonses to others.

 
At 4:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue, I can't beleive how they just banned a good, supportive, wonderful woman from the boards. You said it perfectly in your blog. I wish there was a way to tell them exactly how helpful and insightful you are. Will they listen? Prolly not. Oh well. We're better off without them!!!!

GO BLUE!!!

 
At 6:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF is up with that, Blue?!?! That is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! FF has gotten SOOOOOOOO out of line! Nazis, I tell ya! A bunch of crooks, the lot of them. They take your money and then ban you from the "service".

Down with FF!

-Kelly

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger Carrie said...

It is just sooooooo wrong that they did this to you! I don't see why, when the members are paying to use their services (at least, I was) they can be so anal about a group of friends wanting to keep in touch. It's not like you were advertising a product for sale or something. I got a couple warnings for posting links to direct questions as to where I've found things before. I'm surprised I wasn't banned. But to ban someone for telling others to email her...ridiculous!!

Any luck finding another site?

 
At 10:57 pm, Blogger ellegirl said...

You are all welcome to join the wonderful, supportive TTC community at TwoWeekWait.com. I started it this summer!

www.twoweekwait.com

 
At 12:28 am, Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

I don't know a thing about your fertility issues or what you just spoke of right there. And while I am beyond sympathetic to any poor gal out there trying to conceive, I will forever be viewed as the devil since I am one of those women who got pregnant once the first time trying, the second time by accident (on the pill, no less.)

But my point is not to make you or your readers kill me. It's to say that YOUR KIDS ARE FUCKING THE CUTEST THINGS IN LIFE! (This coming from a mom of two darn tootin' cute buggers if I do say so myself.)

I don't know who is being mean to you on these boards, but since you have gotten the fertility thing down pat, I think you should have 5 more equally precious rugrats and post photos every day on their site just to be cheeky.

 
At 8:20 pm, Blogger dayzofrain said...

Hey a friend of mine just started up her own charting site. Shes doing a free trial right now so if you want the link drop me an email @

Dayzofrain@hotmail.com

And FF doesn't care about the members they already have since they already have your money. There are always new women coming in--starting to chart and lookin for that support and so the market is always there.

Thats the only thing that makes sense as to why they treat their members the way they do

 
At 8:48 pm, Blogger Barb said...

Ugh. Stupid jerks. I left of my own accord because I hated all that stuff. I agree with the above comment. However, I have noticed less activity on FF, AND I know when my cousin was looking for a good charting site, after her research she decided to go for Ovusoft instead. buy the software, get access to the boards for good. THAT makes more sense.

Anyway, it was nice to stumble on your blog. Very interesting reading! I also have a comic book crazy husband. He also happens to be an artist who wants to DESIGN comic books.

 
At 4:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
At 5:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings!
I’ve been browsing through the section for quite a long time but was feeling shy to register.
today some new cheap sun glasses links for my friends!
[URL=http://sunglasses-for-less.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info/map.html]sunglasses for less[/URL]
[URL=http://sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]cheap sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://chanel-silver-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]chanel silver sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://mazzi-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]mazzi sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://perscription-sunglasses-valentino.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]perscription sunglasses valentino[/URL]
[URL=http://sunglasses-clip-on.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]sunglasses clip on[/URL]
[URL=http://top-brands-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]top brands sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://famous-designers-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]famous designers sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://chole-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]chole sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://versace-mens-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]versace mens sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://julbo-sunglasses-website.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]julbo sunglasses website[/URL]
[URL=http://versace-cutout-temple-wrap-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]versace cutout temple wrap sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://coco-chanel-replica-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]coco chanel replica sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://prada-sunglasses-06e.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info/map.html]prada sunglasses 06e[/URL]
[URL=http://kids-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]kids sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://older-armani-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]older armani sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://styleyes-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]styleyes sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://sunglasses-bugatti.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]sunglasses bugatti[/URL]
[URL=http://christain-dior-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]christain dior sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://victoria-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]victoria sunglasses[/URL]
[URL=http://roxy-foxy-sunglasses.sunglassescheapcheapcheap.info]roxy foxy sunglasses[/URL]

Your [b]sun glasses[/b] doctor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home