Friday, January 19, 2007

Stepping up to the plate

Blimey, I hate it when you guys make good sense.

OK, I will take all of your sage advice and go to all of my OB appointments. I agree with you. No inconvenience is worth risking the health of my baby. Period.

----

Oh, and you people who want freebies from my shops need to email me! C'mon, c'mon! FREE stuff! I've gotten comments and emails from a bunch of your telling me you want goodies but only two of you have actually sent me your choice* and your snail-mail addy**!

Get crackin' ladies/gentlemen!

Oh, one other thing: I totally forgot about mugs. Want a mug? A baby bib? Email me and let me know. I wanna show y'all how much ah LURVES ya.

-----

OK, on to more serious stuff.

Have you heard about the MySpace lawsuit?

Some parents are suing MySpace because they say their 14-16 year old daughters were sexually assaulted by adults they met there. They are suing for $30 million.

Oh, yeah, and better security for teens.

I call bullsh*t on this one.

Number one, *I* am the mom. *I* am responsible for the health, safety, and well-being of my children. There are some things out of a parent's control. Drunk drivers spring to mind. Your kids have to learn to drive sometime. They have to go to school, and to work, and, eventually, out into the world. The best you can do is to teach them to never drive after they themselves have been drinking; to always, always keep their eyes on other drivers; to stay alert; follow the rules (don't speed, wear your seatbelt, etc); and after that you just hope.

But the internet isn't the motorway. It's just as dangerous, but it's right there in your own home. You have control over it. Unlike your driving child, you can monitor your surfing child.

Allowing a child unlimited internet access (and apparently the ability to just leave the house to meet strangers) is like driving your child to a seedy mall in the bad part of town, dropping her off, then trying to sue the mall if something bad happens to her.

Well, duh, honey ... YOU took your child there. YOU allowed her access.

Now I am not lacking in sympathy for these parents. What happened was a horrible thing. I'm sorry it happened. But, people, the world is full of monsters.
You, as a mother, have to stand ready, weapon drawn, every single effin' second to defend your child from them! It's your JOB. It's your OBLIGATION.

It's time for parents to step up to the plate and say: "I made a mistake. It was my fault." As long as we keep telling ourselves that it's somebody else's fault, then that maintains the status quo of irresponsibility.

My child is fat because of Mc Donalds, my child failed a grade because of the schools, my child was assaulted because of MySpace, my child gunned down his classmates because of violent video games.

I just blogged about how we need to be confident and comfortable in our roles as mothers. How we shouldn't snipe at each other or belittle each other. We are the strongest, most powerful creatures on earth; we mothers. We produce and raise each generation of human beings.

But with great power comes great responsibility.

And we must be prepared to take responsibility for our own actions. They can make or break our children.
And they are doing so.


-----


*Go to Evil Genius Tees or Evil Genius Woman and use the drop-down menu on the left to search!

**Anna, you are NOT exempt!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 9:27 am   4 comments

4 Comments:

At 5:50 pm, Blogger Danielle said...

Ok, I'm the ultimate lurker and did not actually delurk when you asked before, I'm like that. But since the offer still stands, I'm delurking. I'd love a Withcy Woman Mug. I'll even be super brave and post my e-mail here.

dmkhunt@yahoo.com

 
At 7:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly.

I used to also hold students responsible for their own learning -- I'm talking university students. That went over really well. You'd think some of them were toddlers instead of capable young adults they way they'd respond to that concept, preferring instead to blame the professor, the classroom, the book, the lecture, even the weather, for their failures!

I'm one of those rare birds who believes not only in personal responsibility, but in doing what it takes to reach for and achieve one's dreams, rather than creating obstacles to realizing them.

Color me annoying to those who choose to play victim.

 
At 2:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! I am constantly amazed at how people refuse to take responsibility for their actions or those of their children. We are (in general) a community of finger-pointers, as long as the finger doesn't land anywhere near our own person...

 
At 7:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, and YES. I am currently engaged in the epic struggle to make college students accountable for their actions. It's all about personal responsibility - if you take something on (a class, a marriage, a child, a job - ANYTHING, really), it is your responsibility to get it done in the best way you can. I'm horrified at the number of people I see NOT doing that.

Have you heard about THIS?!

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/23/D8MR41C02.html

Honestly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home