Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Oxymoronic

A thrifty quickie I just HAD to share with you:

My new Van (V for Van-detta) doesn't have a CD player in, so one day (apparently my brain had nipped out for a bit), it dawned on me that it did have a radio.

I've not listened to radio for over 5 years (same reason I don't watch telly - 90% is idiotic drivel and the adverts drive me mad.  Don't get me started on the inane chatter.)

ANYway, before I came to my senses and switched it off with an alarmed cry, I sat through an advert by Harris Teeter.  This is a local grocery chain, BTW;caters to upscale folks; and stores are generally found in posh neighbourhoods.

The gist of the advert was "buy our paper towels, they're cheap, you'll save money in these tough financial times."  Completely disregarding that a large number of the folks in question drove there, alone, in enormous SUVs, for a bottle of obscure wine and the ingredients for that night's supper, and will be back tomorrow, and the next day, and the next ...

Sorry, where was I?

Oh, yeah.  So this soothing narrator chick goes something like: "We want to help you save money during this bad economy thingy that's going on, so we started with the must-have basics, like paper towels. Everyone needs paper towels!"

I beg your pardon?

I haven't used a paper towel, plate, or napkin in my home in 20 years.  And you know how I feel about plastic zipper bags, lol.

We prefer this nifty thrifty stuff called CLOTH and CERAMIC.  And we WASH them and - brace yourself - use them over and over again! *gasp*

You want to save money AND help save the planet? Give it a try. srsly.

EDITED to add: Hmm ... it may have been Publix and not HT.  Can't recall now.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 9:00 am   1 comments

1 Comments:

At 12:46 pm, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Heh.

I think it's true that there are paper towels in the Chili household, but I can't remember the last time we used them. I went to IKEA and bought about twenty four-packs of dish towels for about a buck and a half for four. We use them for EVERYTHING.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home