Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Last week of school! EEEeeeEEEeee!

Just wanted to pop in and say that we're on our last week of school (YAY!) and so I should be able to blog a bit more soon (YAY!)



Today we had our evaluation by the school district to see if Bitty can get into 4 year old Kindergarten next year.


Since I suspect she's on the Autism spectrum and we can't afford to have her evaluated by a doctor (the damned thing costs $3000 and they don't take insurance. How effed up is THAT?), we are availing ourselves of the services of the school district.


I was pretty trepidacious going in. Last year, we met with a rather severe teacher in the middle of a hallway and she took THCTD down to her room for the eval and didn't allow me to come. I had no idea what they were looking at/testing for and the teacher acted stand-offish when I inquired - as if I was prying.


Fortunately THCTD is a social butterfly and had no problem going off with a stranger.


Bitty, I was sure, would freak.


See, Bitty hates changes in routine and take a bit to warm up to new situations. She is socially inept (won't make eye contact or speak), and if she gets flustered, she simply shuts down like a robot who's been switched off.


But, this year it was totally different. We all (me and the bubs) walked into a regular kindergarten room with two pleasent and helpful teachers. One lady began immediately with Bitty while the other walked us out and answered my questions and chatted.


The result was that Bitty never turned a hair and sailed through like a pro. I have no idea how she did as the 'tests' have to be scored and then they decide which 21 kids are the 'neediest', but I have high hopes that, if they feel Bitty needs more testing, we'll get it.


I'm also going to email the school principal and tell her how good the experience was.





Just a quick pic of Bitty and one of her v. fave lovies: "Big Manatee".

Yeah, I know she needs her fringe cut. I'll be cutting hair ... erm, this summer, sometime. ;)

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 12:12 pm   2 comments

2 Comments:

At 8:04 pm, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

YAY, Bitty! School is such an amazing adventure, and Auntie Chili wishes you all the good luck you can handle.

By the way, Blue - the bit with the duct tape sent me OVER. THE. EDGE. Not two days after you posted that, one of my students gave an HYSTERICAL visual aid speech about duct tape, and I spent the whole time wishing he'd found your video. Alas, he wasn't up on the current duct tape controversy, so I sent him the link to your video. Seriously - I laughed until tears were rolling down my face. I really, REALLY love you...

 
At 10:04 pm, Blogger Kathy Harrison Fuller said...

Best of luck - those eyes are AMAZING! What she may have difficulty communicating with words she can emote with those beautiful eyes! Best of luck in dealing with the "system"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home