Thursday, May 22, 2008

Drama close to home

So, my husband, the Mr Evil Genius, aka Bodog has put up and interesting blog post over on his personal blog about the bru-ha-ha over Irmo SC high school Principal Eddie Walker's resignation.

I had a huge, long post about it but could never finish it. See, I know the guy and I kept getting so damned angry at the idiocy (on BOTH sides of the argument) that I just couldn't get my thoughts together (Mrs Chili, I am not, lol! BTW, that's her design idea up top there).
Anyway, so, briefly:


I don't agree with Eddie. I'm sad that his narrow views of sexuality - which reflect the dogma of christianity - would cause him to resign his job. A job at which he excels. I'm sorry that Lexington/Richland district 5 will be losing such a good principal.


But, see, here's one thing that has been making me really angry about Eddie's resignation. Folks are so busy being outraged at his opinions that they forget that he has the right to have them.


Eddie can think whatever crazy thing he wishes. If he wants to believe that gay people have sex all the time willy-nilly he can. If he wants to believe the frankly ridiculous notion that is espoused by some christians that folks choose to be gay, then he can. If he wants to resign his job because of the formation of a Gay-Straight Alliance ... then he can.


Eddie Walker is NOT trying to get the club shut down. He is NOT trying to ban gays at Irmo High School. He is just choosing to resign his job because they are asking him to support something with which he feels uncomfortable.


I DON'T AGREE WITH HIM, but I do agree that he has the right to his opinions - no matter how stupid I think they are - and the right to resign his job because of them.


Yet so many are vilifying the man rather than the idiotic religious pin-hole view of biology. He wasn't born with this bias, folks. It was indoctrinated into him by his church.


I can tell you, with the utmost confidence, that Eddie Walker would help out any fellow man regardless of race, creed, colour, or sexual orientation. He might disagree with a lifestyle but he would NEVER turn his back on another human being.


The media needs to instead tune into the voices of some of the TRULY prejudiced and bigoted parents whose children attend the district. These are the sick sorts who, instead of saying "well I don't agree with it but you have the right to get together as a club" are spouting hatred. THESE are the type of people who would happily BAN clubs that didn't match their ideals. Wrong sex, wrong race, wrong religion ... yer outta there.


Trust me. I've heard/read some mind-blowing moronic attitudes voiced around here recently.


Rather than attacking a good (if misguided) man we should be hacking at the root of the problem: those erroneous beliefs and an enormous group of people who have no grasp of SCIENCE.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 10:55 am   5 comments

5 Comments:

At 6:39 pm, Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Blue, you are 100% on the mark here. I don't agree with Mr. Walker's stance, but I ABSOLUTELY support his right to resign his position over this. He's NOT trying to undermine the club; he's not dissing the people who wanted to start it or who might join it (at least, as far as I can tell - I don't live down there, so I don't know for sure). Just like I don't have to support something which conflicts with my values, he doesn't have to support this club.

I just wish he WOULD....

 
At 6:54 pm, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Absolutely, Mrs C, absolutely!

 
At 12:38 am, Blogger jif said...

I don't know the whole story behind this, but the club mention, reminded me of something. On the campus of a nearby college there is a group for every ethnic, sexual preference, hobby, blah, blah, blah.

The one group that is NOT allowed to form a club on campus are the religious students. No religion allowed. Not spouting the God Squad or anything, being a good 7 day no goeth myself. I just think that sometimes folks take all this foll dee roll way to serious. I have better stuff to worry about.
janelle

 
At 9:57 pm, Blogger Kathy Harrison Fuller said...

Hooray for this Principled Principal! He has taken and stand, not wavered from it under pressure, and has given up a job that I'm sure he loves for what he believes. How many of us would have the courage to do so? The last blogger make a very valid point - freedom is not free if only those who are in the protected classes get to speak it. I work with a gay republican and we speak about this all the time. Why do we have to divide ourselves so much? Why do we have to separate at all? Why do I have to be African American to understand what it is like to be misunderstood? Can I not be tolerant, empathetic caring and love my fellow "person" without out having to see color, sexual orientation, religion, etc? I just do not get it - why can't we just live and let live and move on. Love who you love, help those in need, be truthful, honest and apologize when you are wrong. Not hard concepts people! If you can't get along with someone or don't agree with it - remove yourself from the situation - as this man did. Bravo!

 
At 10:43 pm, Blogger Stacey said...

I COMPLETELY agree with your post. Wow, it's so refreshing to see someone who thinks like me! Great job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home