Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Stone age sickies?

So I encountered my first major head-scratcher with the Paleolithic lifestyle.

I managed to get the gastrointestinal virus from hell on Friday and by that night I was hanging over the toilet, puking my guts out.  Yuck!  It lingered on first with just ocassional yarking, and then just the queasies.  All of this was accompanied by diarreah, too.  w00t.

On Sunday, the first day I felt like eating again, I was confuzzled by what, exactly, to eat.

I mean, everything you think of as mild, bland, and non-stomach-offending is starchy and carb-laden: soda crackers, dry toast, plain potatoes, pasta without sauce.  The powers-that-be even recommend the BRAT diet after illness (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast).  But both the banana and the applesauce have almost 30g of carbs and I try to keep under 35 carbs per day.

The thought of my normal snack foods - pork rinds, beef jerky, nuts, etc - seemed too salty to me.  String cheese was an option but the thought made me queasy.  I considered some soft-cooked veg faves like broccoli or cauliflower, but the smell got to me (don't know why, I normally love the smell of veg cooking - even cabbage!) Fruit was out as the sweet taste made me nauseated.

So what does a Paleo with a dicey tum eat?

I finally settled on turkey. Roasted turkey breast is mild and not at all fatty.  I cut it into bite-sized chunks and ate it cold, sipping diet ginger ale along with it. Much success!

So now I know what to have on hand if I'm ill: tissue, trash can, wooley socks, old episodes of Heroes, turkey!

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 11:51 am   1 comments

1 Comments:

At 4:21 pm, Anonymous moonduster said...

I'm glad you found something you could eat. I hope your feeling a lot better now too. (((hugs)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home