Thursday, December 01, 2005

Well ... damn.

I got a call from an anesthesiologist at NC Baptist and found out that Dad began doing so poorly (with his breathing) that they have had to re-intubate him and put him back on the respirator.

I feel like I've been beaten with a stick.

The theory is that when he was off the respirator and off the meds, the pain of his injuries (remember that his chest was basically crushed) caused him to be unable to breathe well. he couldn't take deep enough breaths. Their next plan of attack is to try to address the chest pain without systemic drugs - thus the convo with an anesthesiologist. They are proposing a thoracic epidural.

That 'E' word probably sounds quite familiar to some of the ladies reading this: pregnant women can be given lumbar epidurals while in labour to control pain. This is the same thing only higher up. (the impossibly-young-sounding-doctor seemed a tad disappointed when I revealed that I, who has had so many children, hadn't ever actually gotten an epi. All of mine were c-section babies. Strictly spinals for me, followed by that loveliest of inventions: astromorph.)

The good news is that this will control his pain without so much mind-fog. The bad news is that 1) it doesn't necessarily mean the immediate removal of the breathing tube. His readiness for that remains to be tested, and 2) it may not work (or they may not be able to get it in), and 3) there are some slight risks.

They are going to assess him tomorrow morning and I gave them permission to go ahead if they thought he was ready.

I'm sorry I got this out so late. As you know I'll be going up there at the ass-crack of dawn tomorrow and so I'll be ringing everyone when it gets to be a decent hour. Going to try for some sleep now.

(Edited to add: several folks have inquired about his medication level. i'm not sure. I don't know whether he's back to the minimally responsive stage or in a less-meds, more-response state. I'll find out tomorrow.)

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 8:21 pm   1 comments

1 Comments:

At 5:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blue! This is Mis from Ezboards. I am sorry to hear about your dad having to be re-intubated for breathing. I wish him well and lots of love and luck. Please contact me at luckycharm_213@msn.com, I have something special I want to send to you. Best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home