Sunday, May 28, 2006

Unfettered, gratis, etc

Argh! Sorry for the double post. I suck. But, y'all know that.

Even I'm not that big a pimp! ROTFL!

----

OK, on to the post.

In today's paper, in the Ask Marilyn section (I'm a huge fan of Marilyn Vos Savant) someone asked her:

"What is your favourite word and why?"

And she replied:

"My favourite word is "yes". I love to hear others say this to me and I love to be able to say the word myself!"

Of course you immediately pose the askers question to yourself, don't you? Well, I thought initially that this would be one of those questions that would require a great deal of thought for ME to answer but the results popped right into my head:

I love the word "FREE".

Not only in a Thriftymom sense but in a political sense.

I love Freecycle and scrounging around stuff people have left at the kerb.

I love that, as bad as my taxes are, it's not 50% of my income whether I like it or not.

I love that I live in a country where I can own a nice pick-up truck, have a decent job, where my children can get vaccinated against horrible diseases, and I can visit my dump every Sunday.

I love that I can choose my own GP, my own RE, my own OBGYN, my own pediatrician and go to another if I don't like the one I'm with.

I love diving in dumpsters and using coupons at sales so that the net cost is ... Zero.

I love that I live in a country where my fellow countrymen can bitch on bulletin boards and blogs about how the current administration (or the last one, or the next one ...) suck arse and that they're all moving to Canada.

FREE.

That's what I love. Free to dive, free to bitch, free to drive, free to own.

Now if I was just FREE to do with my own body as I wished (of my own FREE will, of course), I'd be set.

What's YOUR favourite word?

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 7:53 pm   4 comments

4 Comments:

At 11:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Blue!
i read the same column on in sunday's paper and the first thing i thought of was that i love the word "no."
I recently have learned how to say it and mean it. I have always done things to please others and really hated to tell people i cannot do something. I finally figured out that i have the right to say no. I can say it nicely and politely ("i don't think so..."), and I can say it like i freaking mean it ("oh hell no!!!").
Example: i am a member of our small Episcopal church. I started a "mother's ministry" where i go take a meal and visit w/new moms. That doesn't take up lots of time unless there is a baby boom; however, that is my physical and spiritual contribution to our church. A couple months ago, i got 2 calls from different church members. One was asking me to provide tea for a bereavement meal. The other was asking if i'd help in the nursery. Both times i politely said, "no." (felt that was appropriate instead of HELL no).
No is a word that has helped me realize that i have control of my life and actions.
I need to continue working on my favorite word, especially w/my children.

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger macboudica said...

I have to go with your last commenter here. Although I am an avid reader and I love words and language, the first word that came to mind for me was "no" not just because as a mother it is a life saver, short, simple, to the point, and easily understod when yelled across the room to one offending child while the parent is in the midst of detaining another offending child. But also, like "anonymous" said, because I used to be a person who had a problem saying "no." I would double, triple, quadruple book myself because I did not want to let anyone down. And more often than not I would end up letting myself down I would feel guilty or frustrated or stressed that I couldn't make it all work, make everyone else happy especially if I wanted some kind of life for myself. As I had more kids, I started learning the power of telling others No and not feeling bad about it. I learned that others' happiness is not my responsibility, my own happiness is. I think that as women we sometimes want to give too much and we somehow think we are bad people to say no, to let someone down. We are trained to live for others while our needs take a backseat. Isn't it funny how kids learn No as one of their first words, then as women we seem to unlearn it? I think No is a very important word. It stands for limits. It stands for self. A simple two letter word can mean all that. As women we really do need to learn how to say No and mean it. And not feel guilty about it.

Of course, when the kids do learn no and start using it....well then I don't like the word so much.

 
At 3:21 pm, Blogger Sharpie said...

I LOVE FREE too!!!! My favorite. Free shit.

 
At 8:57 pm, Blogger HappySlob said...

Hey,

:) Just found your blog and I love it! I've been blogging for a while, and am trying to cut back a lot on my spending to eliminate debt.

Thanks for a great blog. I'll be back!

Take care,
Christina

P.S. If you have a moment - please check out my blogs. I'd love to hear what you have to say about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home