Thursday, June 01, 2006

Victory!

(You have to imagine me here, sweaty and disheveled, torn tartan dragging the ground, spear raised aloft ...)

Ok, ok, it's nothing that exciting.

See, I'm building a website for a fellow blogger and I consider her a good online friend and so there's a tonne of pressure for things to be perfect. If it was just anyone I'd want the site to be good, but for a friend ... well, you get me.

Anyway, she'd gotten a Blogger blog at my suggestion and the damned thing wasn't working properly.

(Super)

So I spent half the day Wednesday emailing Blogger support, perusing Blogger Help Forums, posting plaintive appeals for assistance, and poring over the template code, trying to fixed the effin' thing.

Well, I solved it yesterday morning. YES!

So, sorry for the radio silence but I've been caught up in that and managing the store.

I'm seriously considering getting an eBay store. I've been ebaying for awhile now - not any sort of rabid power-seller or anything - just unloading my own junk, but I haven't sold for awhile. I've amassed the typical sort of things that I tend to pick up, just because they're cool, and either they don;t fit me (if clothing) or my home (if stuff, although that's rare) or I'm just sick of whatever-it-is.

So I was looking at my pile-o-junk that I keep meaning to eBay and it's got an eclectic, bohemian (hippy, funky, chunky, shabby chic, gothy, punky, victorian ... you get what I mean) sort of feel to it and a lot of my odder T-shirts in the shop would blend right in. That's what the lightbulb fizzled on over my head and I thought about getting a store.

What do you guys think?

(that you need to start making your decisions yourself and stop asking the internets)

(Oh, shut up!)

As I browsed through the help files on eBay reading up on how to open a store I looked around at folks selling the same sort of thing and ...

...and I started to itch.

It is my opinion that the nastiest, most despicable, disreputable, untrustworthy and unscrupulous people are drawn to eBay. I've met some of them. I have friends and acquaintances who've met others.

I want another outlet for sales (and a place to unload my extraneous crap) but I'm terrified of getting back in that cutthroat atmosphere. It was problems with liars and thieves (and the US post office ... oh wait ... same description applies!) that cause me to stop eBaying in the first place.

One thing that terrifies me is that someone will steal my designs.

It's one thing to use a common, uncopyrighted phrase ("Infertility Sucks!") on an original tee, but some of my stuff is all my own (or Evil Genius Husband's) and some has my own artwork. Yes, yes I know that if someone steals my stuff then I can drag 'em to court but you know how that goes. Bad-ebayer steals my design, sells 1000 of the shirts before I find out, then disappears. I can try to take it to court but I'd have to pay for court costs and there would STILL be 1000 lost customers and 1000 crappy rip-off shirts out there.

I'm being more paranoid than normal, aren't I?

Alright ... this post is too rambly already so I'm ending it here. Did I do a Self Portrait Tuesday this week? What day is it? GAH! I'm losing my marbles!

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 7:13 am   4 comments

4 Comments:

At 10:38 am, Blogger macboudica said...

I don't blame you for being paranoid. Hey, it's your stuff, you worked hard on it, you should protect it.

 
At 3:21 pm, Blogger Miguelita said...

I love ebay and I have bought and sold 100's of things there and only had one lame-ass bad seller. Luckily it was only a $12 investment. but still. I understand your copywrite trepidation, but ebay is also a pretty reasonable way to start your own business.
Congrats on the blogger victory - whose blog is it?

 
At 8:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's me, it's me! I'm more than a little excited, because it's more than just another blog. It's a whole website devoted to, you guessed it, ME!

(I'm only being obnoxious to hide how touched I am by what Blue said because she says I'm not supposed to tell anyone how sweet she really is..oops.)

Hee.

To sum up: Blue is awesome, I am obnoxious and pretty soon I'll be bidding on some of Blue's artwork. Right after we get this vacation paid for. I can't wait!

 
At 11:31 am, Blogger Sharpie said...

Well, you know how I feel about the post office - so I HEAR YA!! And I LOVE ebay!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home