Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Worrying about what others think, again

Jeez.  A blog post a month?  OK ... that's just shite.

ANYway, sorry, sorry, sorry.  Sorry I'm not one of those Twitter Moms who put up a blog post every single day (and Tweet it several times! *simper*) plus finish a crafty project to put up on Etsy every week (and Tweet it!  With pics!).

SO not me.

I'm on the tired, harried, bedraggled, mom end of the spectrum.  Just this week: husband sick, oldest son's foot impaled by nail in the barnyard, more illness, truck still not fixed, and I straggled in to the elemtary school today - hair awry, and grubbily clothed - to retrieve the sick child's homework after spending the afternoon rolling 1200lb round bales of hay off the trailer in the cold and the wet.  I was (as I Tweeted!) muddy and crabby and bloody well ready for happy hour to begin.

I wondered then: do I envy those moms who always look so put-together, peering archly out at me through designer sunglasses and the side window glass of an expensive, late model SUV?  Those women who have never had to roll pennies to put petrol in their cars, who have never had to drag a sick goat into the barn and out of the freezing rain, who put their pre-schoolers in daycare - even though they are at home - just so they have some "me time" to hit the gym and the Starbucks?

Nah.

(OK, OK, I do envy those lovely newer Suburbans (which seat eight) that so many of the mothers-of-two seem to drive (carefully edging around even the teensiest pothole lest they cause the slightest mud splatter!)
 and have adorned with the wee stick-figure family and, their own monogram - in pink! *squee!*)

*hack*hack*gag*

Sorry. Anyway, so ... yeah, (as Eddie Izzard would say.)

I sincerely don't envy those people.  Folks can live and parent as they see fit (or are able).  It would be nice if they didn't look down their noses at me and had a bit of comprehension of how really busy I am, but hey, what can you expect from people who have never suffered adversity or wanted for anything in their lives?

The worst thing that has ever happened to these ladies was not getting asked to the junior prom by the person they wanted, not getting to have that particular shade of persimmon for their bridesmaids dresses, not getting the matching stroller/carseat/diaper bag combo that was on their massive baby shower registry.

Aw, poo.  Life sucks sometimes doesn't it?

I try to cut 'em some slack when they don't understand that I just don't have the time or the means to donate money or my own presence for the myriad little "things" - parties, fundraisers, appreciation gifts, holiday celebrations - that they feel are so very important.  I swear I'm not either 1) a stuck up bitch or 2) a moronic White Trash ho who has no concept of society and who only gets up from in front of the telly to wipe the Cheesy Poof dust off my boobs and come get my kids from school.
My children are there to learn.  I have a huge amount of appreciation for their teachers (and support them by sending my child to school well fed, well rested, appropriately dressed, and with all library books, supplies, and homework.) If these other moms feel the need to celebrate, raise funds, or throw parties, then I'm all for it. Just understand that not all of us can do that.

Hey, somebody's gotta drag sick goats.

PS: well, my week's just getting worse. *sigh* Sad day. :(

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 9:46 am   1 comments

1 Comments:

At 9:21 pm, Anonymous janelle said...

Hey Blue! Janelle here!

The hub and I raised our kids and live/lived the same basic lifestyle you do.

Amazingly, our kids, who whined and moaned and complained when we made them do "chores/things" came home from their first semester of college and said they were so grateful we taught them to change the oil, how to cook, how to jump a dead battery, change a tire, do laundry, eat your breakfast, eat your veggies, etc. because the spoiled brat, rich classmates, didn't know diddly and were so helpless it was pitiful. They were astounded at the stupidity!

Anyway, good to see you! I'm gonna be gramma in August! Hoot, Hoot! Can't wait to spoil the little booger!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home