Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hair today, gone tomorrow

I have to ask you seriously what you think about this hairstyle:



This is Zoe Wanamaker as Madame Hooch, the flying instructor from Harry Potter. The instant I saw her with this haircut I thought it was dead cool and now, since I'm toying with the idea of cutting my hair ...

I just love this hairstyle but there are several considerations. One is that I only have the one attractive feature – my hair – it’s a dark mahogany brown and it’s currently down past my waist. I haven’t cut it since I got pregnant with my first (so that throws in a psychological wrench right there). I'm obviously not 100 % about cutting it at all ... but I'm craving a change.

Another big consideration is that I am not good at getting ready to go out. My Darling Hubby generally considers himself lucky if I’m dressed. I mean I was never into hair/makeup/clothes when I was young and single and had oodles of self-indulgent time. It’s definately one of the last things on my mind right now. I want to cover up my naughty bits and get in my car and leave. I will NEVER be stood in front of a mirror applying foundation or curling my hair. Do you know that I have never in my life owned a hair dryer?

With long hair one can just tie it back, braid it up quickly, or my fave, ball the whole lot up on top of the head. This hairstyle looks as if I might have to do something to it. Put gelatinous crap in it, tease it, spike it, straighten it, something.

There’s also this: for all the attractiveness of my hair, it does not look good down. There’s too much of it, it’s quite thick and heavy, and it looks terrible hanging next to my horrid face like curtains. I will never achieve the Sandra-Bullock-in-Practical-Magic look. *sigh*



So what do you think? I really wish my hair was grey already as I think this style looks really cool with the grey hair. I will never, never, never be caught with one of those ghastly permed old-lady hair styles. Or the more modern teased-up-top-and-shaved-up-the-back ones. *shudder* But, alas, my mum’s hair didn’t start going grey until she was 50 and is still not entirely grey 10 years later.

I think if I cut it I will probably dye it. Perhaps red!

Yes? No? Maybe? Quit kidding myself?

Bookmark and Share
posted by MrsEvilGenius @ 8:01 am   7 comments

7 Comments:

At 10:47 am, Blogger Krissy said...

Cut it off and dye it!

I had hair down to my waist most of my life and then cut it off and I've never gone back. In fact the cut I got recently was VERY Madam Hooch. And I got hit on by an 18 year old on the way home from the salon, so there you go.

If you dye it blonde you can get the same effect as the grey.

Go crazy! It's hair. If you hate it, it'll grow back.

 
At 3:27 pm, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Oh, oh, oh! This is exactly what I want to do - donate my hair to Locks of Love! I mean we're talking at least 18 inches of hair.

And dye the rest blonde!

Hah! What a good idea!

Bitty Boy will be here Monday ... I'd like to get my hair whacked by the time he's 3 months old.

-Blue

 
At 12:05 pm, Blogger Tilly Cat & Pip-Squeak said...

Blue, I say GO FOR IT! I've always had short hair, basically because I'm completely incapable of doing anything complicated to it. This hairstyle wouldn't be too difficult to style, especially if you have thick hair. You would need SOME styling product, but if you get this clay-based cream, you just have to rub it in your hands and run your fingers through your hair in the morning until you like how it looks, and that's about it! My hair is similar, and I'd never wear it like that if I needed more than 5 minutes to style it :)

Good luck welcoming Bitty-Boy

 
At 4:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Blue! I've been sneeking over to peek at your blog for a month or so now. I absolutely love your take on the world!

I wanted to say I, too, love the Madam Hooch haircut, but I have a warning for you. If it's truly been that long since you did anything different with your hair, don't do it until your bitty boy is at least 3 months old. I have 5 kids and have gotten that wild urge to do something different with my hair several times while pregnant or early post-partum with disastrous results. Hormones can do crazy things to us when we least expect it! (I once planned on auburn and got black along with a haircut that put me into shock...)

Good luck and have fun with that new bundle!

Michelle
queenmommy911

 
At 4:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look! I'm anonymous! Ppbblltt! Meant to fix that...

That's what I get for typing while nursing a baby! :)

 
At 7:11 pm, Blogger Carrie said...

As one who will let her hair grow out for about a year, only to hack it all off, I can say that if you don't like to mess with it, short hair is not for you. A year ago, I cut my hair the shortest ever (1.5-2" long). I've spent the last year trying to grow it back out because I got sick of having to fuss with it EVERY day. There is nothing you can do with short hair on a bad hair day, aside from wearing a hat. More than likely, you'd end up needing a hair dryer to pull that look off. I've been straightening my hair lately and I loathe the extra 10 minutes it takes to dry and straight-iron it. I can't wait until it's long enough to just put up again.

 
At 5:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, Locks of Love is a fraud! They use less than 2% of the hair for kids. DO NOT DONATE to them.
Second, that HP style is horrid. Hope you didn't do it!!! Most women look so much sexier with long hair that I wonder if the whole idea behind hacked hair is to avoid notice. Dano

 

Post a Comment

<< Home